Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What I have learned so far.........

1. Crocs and fanny packs are ugly but necessary evils. (I have ';foot and knee issues'; so I will be wearing those infernal things on my feet but I refuse to don the pepto-bismol colored ones; there should be a law forbidding anyone over 10 from wearing certain colors. My husband recently bought a pair of black crocs which he wears while cleaning the pool and puttering in the garden and I flinch whenever he walks by because I despise those bloody crocs but after reading several posts on this board, I have concluded that I am now a convert and will be buying some for myself. Until I read this board, it had not occurred to me that they would be quite beneficial after getting splashed at Sea World or on a ride at IOA and getting the tootsies all wet. BTDT with soaked socks and tennies; not pleasant at all. So I will play the part of the silly tourist.

2. Use traveler%26#39;s checks rather than cash.

3. Do not drink the (tap) water.

Our trip is scheduled for mid-October. We will be skipping Disney; we will be at Universal/Islands of Adventure for the majority of our trip and will spend the balance of our time between Sea World and with friends who live in Kissimmee. Since we will be there in Ocotober, I assume that we will not need to buy any express passes.

I still have several posts to read from this board; I got to the 26th page and had to stop before I went cross-eyed. Thanks to everyone who shares their experiences and opinions. I will be sure to do the same after returning from our trip.

Our family consists of my husband, a nine year-old, a seven year-old, and myself. Any tips for Universal/Islands of Adventure/Sea World? Any ';must-see'; rides, restaurants or points of interest come to mind? I would appreciate any input as we have not had a real vacation for quite some time now and I wish to get as much out of it as possible. (Without losing my mind in the process.)

Thanks and happy vacationing!!!

What I have learned so far.........

You can check out my Go-List ';Restaurant Row in Orlando'; for some upscale restaurants; a few of them, like BoneFish Grill and MoonFish, and Carrino%26#39;s, would work for kids, though its not right next to Kissimmee. And look at my Restaurants on International Drive response; if nothing else, if you don%26#39;t have it in Columbia, or you%26#39;ve never been, try Sweet Tomatoes salad buffet.

The tap water is not tasty here, but imo, it is better than, say, Hilton Head Island water a little to the south and east of you. And compared to the Georgia beaches, Florida water tastes like Evian.

What I have learned so far.........

Well done gigi - I don%26#39;t think your post has got the credit it deserves. Just because you are not concentrating on DISNEY does not mean that your views are not pertinent and honest. I agree with you about the tap water ... avoid it whatever the locals say.

I usually get to Sea World if I can and you will have a great time there.

My tip for Universal is get there as early as you can and get the big rides done before the coach loads of tourists on excursions arrive. Have a break around lunch time and then come back late afternoon.

Although you have not had a vacation in a long time remember to take it easy because you have to enjoy it as well as get everything in during the days you have in Orlando.


The queues at universal and IOA can still get quite long in October. so if you can afford it go for an express pass.

we normally try to get to the parks early to avoid the lines. If you get their when the park opens you can normally get straight on to the rides. obviously try to avoid weekends as they are busier.

The lines at shrek and Mummy in Universal studios tend to be the longest so hit those first

Have a great time.... I will be their in October for halloween horror nights......So if you see a nearly bald 50 year old acting like he was 18.......... probably me so say Hi


Just in case, remember that Halloween Horror Nights is going on ) at that time on the weekends. If you hadn%26#39;t planned for that, you need to, as the park its in would close early that day; but if you%26#39;re into that sort of thing (I%26#39;m not), you can give it a go, though a lot of locals will be there.


I%26#39;m curious how you came to the conclusion of #2 using TT instead of cash. Wouldn%26#39;t that just add an extra step and hassle to what you%26#39;re doing? Personally I%26#39;m planning on bringing cash in an under-the-clothes money belt. It served me well all over Europe and Las Vegas...


Interesting conclusions.

I think the crocs flip flops are better than the enclosed ones - definitely less ugly!

We generally bring back most of the travellers cheques we take as we just use them to exchange for cash when we run out (which isn%26#39;t that frequent as we use credit cards for just about everything).

The tap water is fine, just not very cold.


Gigi - We were at US the first week of June and didn%26#39;t need the Express pass. IOA we needed them. Rides at IOA are fun and very thrilling. Use the child swap at the big rides and save time. Use the single rider line and save time. Let the kids were their swim suits and they will enjoy the soaking play areas. We used our debit/credit card and all was well.

We went with 2 parents a 5yo and a 9 yo and they loved IOA and US.

Cheers,

CS


Are you a AAA member? You%26#39;ll save money on Universal food (restaurants, not carts) when you show your card.


Eddie,

I agree totally. Orlando water is heaven compared with the sulfurous stew that is the water at beach resorts in SC/GA.

A

  • multiple tables
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment