Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Scenic hWY 98

We just returned Saturday from our first stay on Scenic 98. We always stayed near Big Kahuna%26#39;s. Scenic 98 wins hands down. We were worried about crossing the road with the kids. It was not a problem everyone stops to let you cross, day and night.





It is like you are in two separate towns compared to mid Destin. You are still close to everything and its more relaxing. Just the ride down the scenic highway with all the beautiful houses and condo brings down your blood pressure.





We will never stay anywhere else again.



Scenic hWY 98


I am so with you on this one - during the season we seldom go into Destin - if we go out to eat we head east. Less traffic worries. But maybe I should keep my mouth shut - don%26#39;t need it too crowded down here.



Scenic hWY 98


I looked back and you stayed at Beach Retreat. It is really a beautiful condo and the beach is marvelous there glad you enjoyed it.




I would never stay in the main part of Destin. Scenic 98 is so wonderful! I am so glad you discovered it%26#39;s beauty!




I checked out this area in June and I did not see the big attraction. If I can%26#39;t be on the water or have a view - it just doesnt%26#39; seem the same. What am I missing? Do you have to stay there to appreciate it? I didn%26#39;t see the beautiful houses that you were talking about. I%26#39;m just clueless about this. I have read about this area, went to see it (drove on Scenic 98 and 30A), and I thought to myself that I don%26#39;t see what the big deal is. I really think I must be missing something. Someone, please tell me.




Ummm, most of Scenic 98 HAS a view???? We stay on the beach every year, on Scenic 98, and even when across the street from the beach you have a view a lot of the time, since most of the area is low-rise units. Where did you drive along??? You could not have been on Scenic 98 if you did not see a view. You can see the water from all along Scenic 98, except when you pass right in front of Destiny by the Sea, then your view is blocked slightly.





And you COULD NOT have been on Scenic 98 since you did not see the beautiful houses! They line so much of Scenic 98! Both on the gulf-front side and the ';across the street'; side. Scenic 98 is just a 2-lane road. The neighborhoods of Destiny are on this path, and Crystal Beach. There are some of the most beautiful homes on this stretch.





Apart from the fact that I don%26#39;t even think you were on the right road - here are the great things about Scenic 98: Low-rise complexes which can offer less croweded beaches, easy walking across the street and through all the sidewalked neighborhoods, friendly people who let you cross the street, or who visit with you; slow traffic (and not slow as in you sit in it for hours). Scenic 98 puts you close enough to the action that it is not that big of a deal to run to the main areas, but, it offers a smaller, less hectic vibe.





Where DID you drive? :-)




I don%26#39;t think you were on Scenic 98. We saw people walking, jogging and walking their dogs everyday. People even rent these little 3 wheel vehicles. We never got in traffic even though the traffic moves slow. Everyone thinks our vacation went too fast this year and I think its because we enjoyed it more then ever. The condos here are low rise and most look like mansions.




I was on Scenic 98 - I saw the joggers, bikers, and the golf carts - started at Crystal Beach and drove east. I didn%26#39;t see the beach that well from the road - if at all - as the houses/inns/condos blocked the view. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder - expectations. I think from all what I had read, I was expecting sparse population, but I found it to be just as built up and congested. - in fact claustophobic with all the small streets and many houses. I%26#39;ll have to stay there sometime and see if I get a different perspective. Thanks for the comments.




Or maybe you should just go somewhere else next time that is more in line with your expectations. I can%26#39;t imagine what you have read to give the impression it was a sparsely developed area.




I think you misunderstood me - I did not mean to offend you. I must be missing something because everyone says that area is really nice so I plan to stay there sometime and find out the reason. I don%26#39;t think driving through the area gave me an accurate impression. I just love the Florida Gulf area period!




Isn%26#39;t it great that different people prefer different locations! We%26#39;ve stayed on Scenic 98 for years, but I%26#39;ve always been curious about mid-Destin. This year, Sterling Sands was our choice, and it was quite nice, and we liked it a lot. But we%26#39;ll be back on Scenic 98 next time. It just feels more like ';home';.

No comments:

Post a Comment