Friday, March 30, 2012

Don't stay at Gilberts Resort in Key Largo!

Gilbert%26#39;s Resort in Key Largo is overpriced, dirty, with bugs in the bathroom, very rude owners and definitely not worth 2 nickels. Plus the swimming pool was filthy - it had a bandaid and hudreds of dead bugs floating in it. Because we travel with our dog there are not as many choices but we booked it 3 months in advance and were confirmed to get a room with a private balcony %26amp; tiki hut. When we checked in our room had been given to another customer, and they moved us to a room with a ';shared'; balcony %26amp; no tiki hut. We clearly explained why we were unhappy but they charged us $25 cancellation fee for their mistake!

A good pet friendly hotel is the Howard Johnsons. It was clean and the rooms were even much larger too.

Don't stay at Gilberts Resort in Key Largo!

I lived in Key Largo many years and considered the Gilbert%26#39;s Tiki bar our local hangout. We went back for a wedding at Gilbert%26#39;s and experienced the same situation. To top it off they charged someone elses charges to my card and had the nerve to argue with me. The staff was completely rude and the owners were insulting and degrading. A perfect spot for those traveling with pets is The Sands of Islamorada. Very cute and near Holiday Isle.

Don't stay at Gilberts Resort in Key Largo!

gotta say we agree

i didnt know they had a pool but rest assured i wouldnt have gone near it. i was even afraid to sleep. spent most of the night sitting on a chair on the porch in fear of the bugs, etc.

that weight room and chairs etc on the roof porch was utterly disgusting. the whole thing was. that place shouldnt even be allowed to be opened.


I am at Gilbert%26#39;s right now and I just looked up this place and not to my amazement, I found exactly what I thought It would.-Nothing good!

I awoke yesterday to the largest ant I have ever seen under the covers with me. My friend and I sprayed a whole bottle of Lysol disinfectant EVERYWHERE the night before. THANK GOODNESS we are leaving today. We sprayed the sheets, walls, floors, door handles, EVERYTHING we saw. We even bought new pillows at Winn-Dixie. For $75 per night, we could have probably found a cleaner, newer place but I had already paid. MY MISTAKE. I will NEVER do that again! Take it from me, do NOT stay here unless you have clorox, Lysol, and your own bed linens and pillows. And if you don%26#39;t mind the occasional ant sleeping with you.


I can%26#39;t believe I%26#39;m doing this, but I feel compelled to respond %26amp; defend. Gibert%26#39;s Resort is located in the TROPICS. The TROPICS have BUGS. I%26#39;m writing to you from the comfort of a 2 million dollar ocean-front condo down the road from Gilbert%26#39;s in Key Largo, also in the TROPICS. Guess what is crawling across the saturnia marble floor right now? A BUG! The cleaning lady was here 1 hour ago. She did a great job cleaning, but the bugs still manage to get in. People who can%26#39;t tolerate nature should ABSOLUTELY stay out of the Keys.

Gilbert%26#39;s IS a bit funky, but for the price, it%26#39;s not all that bad. Sure, you can get a cookie-cutter room at one of the chain hotels for about the same price, but you will also get a different atmosphere... There is NO excuse for their rudeness or apparent inability to give people the room they reserved. I have been denied a reserved room on Dupont Circle in DC and not apologized to either... that attitude is not specific to the Keys. We are all a bit burned-out in the Keys right now. Many of us are struggling just to survive. The cost of living is KILLING us. Try to take a moment to get to know the person you%26#39;re dealing with. Appeal to their human side and perhaps you can get them to soften a little. - I have to get back to work now. I don%26#39;t own this fancy condo, I just work here. When I go home tonight, it%26#39;s to a 1971 single-wide trailer that is pretty horrible. Nearly my whole paycheck goes to the landlord..... welcome to paradise............. wlh


Since this post is over two years old %26amp; ';wlh'; did a nice reply to the other post, I%26#39;d say he did a good job explainin the situation. We all are feelin the pain to remain here in the tropics %26amp; continuin to put-up with ';Bugs';, whether it be the Florida Keys or Southwest Florida. I guess we all have our problems ~~ (:%26lt;(

  • vc
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment