Sunday, April 15, 2012

Planning ahead

I am coming to Saint Pete Beach and the area in July. Specifically a Sunday (8th) through Thursday (12th).





I%26#39;m looking for everything I need to see in that time period.





Now, I do have some plans already.





They include: Two baseball games Sunday (Clearwater 1pm, Lakeland 6pm); Baseball game Monday (7 pm Clearwater) and possibly back to Lakeland Tuesday AM (10) for a GCL game.





Tuesday night I have a rehersal dinner to attend and Wednesday a wedding. I fly out Thursday.





I%26#39;ll have a rental car, so getting around isn%26#39;t a problem.





I%26#39;m a big photographer, so anything photogenic would be much appreciated. I%26#39;ve thought about the state park (I love lighthouses), maybe a boat tour, not sure what else. I%26#39;m open to anything right now.





I%26#39;m looking to be able to do a lot of things in free time -- morning, afternoon, night -- all of the above. Also, during the day, I wouldn%26#39;t mind having things to do I can do in an hour or two, so I can pack as much in as possible.





Thanks in advance. I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll be stopping by a bunch here over the next few weeks as I plan.



Planning ahead


You might like a trip to Egmont Key. There is a lighthouse, the ruins of an old fort, and unspoiled beaches.



Planning ahead


Photogenic, closer to Lakeland:



Bok Tower. I think it is in Lake Wales.



Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven.





Closer to St. Pete, Clearwater:



Sponge Docks of Tarpon Springs.



Fort DeSoto Park /Sunshine Skyway bridge in St. Pete. (They are currently painting the bridge cables so that might ruin the photo-op).



Sunsets at Clearwater or St. Pete Beach.



Sunken Gardens in St. Pete. I think is still open.



Downtown St. Pete waterfront and %26#39;The Pier%26#39;.






Thanks for all the great tips. I%26#39;ve written them down and am doing some research. I%26#39;m really looking forward to this trip. Just crossing the fingers for good weather!




If you want some good shots, go to Heritage Village in Largo and while you%26#39;re there stop by the Botanical Gardens next door. I%26#39;ve taken over 400 photos at the Village alone.





Check my profile page I added a page on Heritage Village with a couple of photos.





Another couple of nearby spots include the Burial Mounds on Park Street just north of the Treasure Island Bridge. and the Veterans Park near Bay Pines VA hospital. Some good photos from there. In fact my desktop photo is from the mounds.







Lake Wales is a good hour%26#39;s drive from Lakeland so from St. Pete you%26#39;d have at least 2 hours one way...




Take a run out to the Don Cesar hotel on St. Pete Beach...huge 1920%26#39;s era hotel. Local landmark. Great for photography.




My bro-in-law and husband are really into photography, so here are some places that they have enjoyed:





Downtown St. Pete and the Pier downtown



Fort Desoto



Clearwater Beach



The Friendship Bridge (it is right next to the Gandy Bridge, parking is free, and the Friendship Bridge is foot traffic only). Spectacular water views/sunsets.





If I think of any more, I%26#39;ll post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment